Americans consume more caffeine as a nation than anywhere else in the world. It is estimated we consume an average of 971 tons of caffeine per year, and 54% of people MUST get their caffeine fix daily. Out of that 54%, most of them consume three caffeinated beverages per day. The go-to’s are coffee, energy drinks, and soda.
We already know how detrimental sugar is, so besides the caffeine boost, it’s clear we need to cut out soda and energy drinks. But what about coffee and other more benign options? Well, here’s a look at caffeine itself:
- Improves memory
- Decreases fatigue
- May fight free radicals
- Caffeine Crash
- Imbalances the alkaline in your mouth (makes it more acidic)
- Temporarily increases blood pressure
- Dependence: Symptoms of dependence include insomnia, nervousness, irregular heartbeat, and nervousness
- Addictive: Caffeine is considered a drug therefore it can become very addictive and you could have withdrawal symptoms when trying to quit consuming it.
- Weight gain (depending on what you put in your coffee or what type of caffeine you’re consuming
NEED AN ALTERNATIVE?
Not ready to let go of your daily fix? Try Purium’s White American Ginseng Extract to boost energy, improve mental focus, and aid in stress management. And the best part? No cons.
In Good Health,